This is an original by me. (I’m sure other people have done something similar, but what I mean by “original by me” is that I came up with this on my own and made it without getting ideas elsewhere.) It’s so simple! It all started when my kids’ pictures came in and we needed 2 small easels for the storyboard collages we ordered. Could I find any little tiny artist-looking easels? Nope. Seen them all the time before, but, as always, they were not to be found when I actually needed to buy them. So after being disappointed in Hobby Lobby, I went over to the wood stuff and bought what I needed to make my own creation to hold the storyboards. I spent a grand total of $7, and that let me make 2 picture stands with tons of materials left over for other projects. To buy 2 of the cheapest plate stands as an alternative to the easels would have been $8, and I wouldn’t have anything left over for other stuff.
What you will need:
- Toy wooden wheel
- Finial cap
- Dowel that fits snug into both the wheel and cap
- Spray paint (optional)
- Tiny clothespin
- Hot glue gun or wood glue
- Pen or pencil
- Saw (I used a hacksaw)
What to do:
- Place your wheel in front of you and hold the dowel and ruler together so that you can read the numbers on the ruler. Hold your picture up and figure out about where you want to picture to be when you finish. Measure enough room on the dowel above the picture for the finial cap and clothespin.
- Mark for your cut. Remember, “Measure twice, cut once!” Cut the dowel to your desired length.
- Assemble the stand. Squeeze a dab of glue into the hole in the center of the wheel. Push the dowel in so that it is snug and secure. Squeeze another drop of glue into the whole in the finial cap and press the cap on the top of the dowel.
- Spray paint the stand if you wish to do so.
- Attach the clothespin with hot glue or wood glue.
- Clip on your picture and admire your handiwork!
Tips & Variations:
- Tie ribbon, raffia, or yarn around the top. The colors should complement either your decor or the picture.
- Beads, sequins, glitter, or metal lief add extra appeal.
- Make a small tag with a title, caption, or the names of people in the picture and clip it along with the picture to the stand.