I used to keep my make-up in a drawer, then in a basket. I was always digging through trying to find what I wanted and forgot about half of what I owned. I decided to remedy that problem and set up a system that would keep my make-up organized in a way that it is easily accessible, grouped according to type, and I will be able to see all I have. I also wanted it to look good. What I decided to use meets all my criteria and takes up very little space on my counter (which is good because it’s a small counter). It worked so well, I decided I’d make another for my hair accessories, which were also a mess in a drawer prior to this.
What you will need:
- Plastic storage rack and drawers
- Spray paint (optional)
- Printed labels (optional)
What to do:
- If you’re spray painting yours, you’ll need to disassemble it. After that’s done, lay it out so you can spray paint it. (Obviously I don’t care about my super dead grass, so I just painted on that. Ordinarily I’d have done it on cardboard.)
- Spray paint it. Remember to avoid spraying too heavily; you don’t want runs in the paint. (I used oil rubbed bronze plus a light dusting of gold.) Do both sides to cover up any white.
- When it is dried, reassemble and arrange your make-up and/or hair accessories. If you’re using labels, put those on.
Tips & Variations:
- Spray paint made for plastics will work best. If you love a color that you cannot get specifically for plastics, just be aware that it could scratch off so you’ll need to be careful with it.
- You could also paint the drawers in a complementary or contrasting color. Alternatively, you could use scrapbook paper and line the outer facing of the drawer for a little pizazz or charm.