I love a nicely scented room, but buying plug-in after plug-in adds up. I never knew you could refill them yourself and that you can get 3-4 plug-ins for the cost of one by doing so! A little bottle of $2.50 potpourri oil will fill about 4 plug-ins. A bigger bottle is about $5 and will fill at least twice as many, if not a little more. And it only takes about 2 minutes to do. Another good reason to do this is that the store-bought plug-ins contain VOC’s whereas essential oils do not, so refilling these with essential oils means you are not releasing pretty-smelling toxic chemicals into your home.
What you will need:
- Empty plug-in
- Potpourri or essential oil
- Small funnel
What do do:
~ I actually have step-by-step pictures this time!
1. Hold onto your plug-in securely. You can use any plug-in as far as I am aware. I’ve refilled Bath & Body Works Wallflowers and Glade.
2. Using pliers, pull the wick from the plug-in. You may have to pull hard to get it out, but it will come out.
3. Insert the funnel into the plug-in and add your oil. Only fill it 2/3 – 3/4 full so as to leave room for the wick. Think about how full they are when you buy them–that’s your goal (or a little more because, honestly, they aren’t that full brand new!).
4. Reinsert the wick and plug it in!
Tips & Variations:
- If there is any remaining oil in the plug-in before you add more, you can either dump it out or reuse it. Since my refill oil was close to the same scent as what was originally in there, I just left it in and added mine to it.
- Don’t be afraid to mix oils if you have single scents. Say for example you have a cinnamon scented oil and an apple scented oil. Put a little of each in to make a combined scent.